Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Yummy (really healthy) Muffins

Two posts in one day....Woo wee!

Anyways, I'm on a weight loss kick to lose the rest of my baby weight, which means I'm doing my very bestest to eat well. It's not the easiest thing to get a decent breakfast around here, so my solution is to make muffins, so that I can just grab one, and be done with the whole breakfast thing. Well, except for my coffee. Gotta have my coffee. These are the muffins I made for the next few days. I'll put my changes in italics...there's a lot of them. Enjoy!

Original recipe from Allrecipe.com

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (1 cup all-purpose flour)
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (1 cup whole wheat flour)
  • 1 1/4 cups white sugar (1 1/4 cups brown sugar)
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups grated carrots
  • 1 apple - peeled, cored, and chopped (1 1/2 apples)
  • 1 cup raisins (golden raisins)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/2 cup apple butter (1 cup applesauce. Didn't have any apple butter, and didn't want to buy or make any.)
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil (1/4 applesauce)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts (didn't use any.)
  • 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ (1/4 cup mixed into muffins instead of on top)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly oil 18 muffin cups, or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, apple butter, oil and vanilla.
  3. In a large bowl, stir together flours, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in carrots, apples and raisins. Stir in apple butter mixture until just moistened. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full.
  4. In a small bowl, combine walnuts and wheat germ; sprinkle over the muffin tops.
  5. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly pressed.

1 comment:

  1. When I initially commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time a comment
    is added I get three emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
    Appreciate it!

    Also visit my web-site :: Http://ippi-Card.ru/

    ReplyDelete