Thursday, November 24, 2011

New Brahm Family Tradition

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Yesterday I decided that I wanted cinnamon rolls for breakfast on Thanksgiving. I'm thinkin' new tradition. I mean, my kids might not actually be mine if they didn't like cinnamon rolls. I'm a fat kid at heart. Really, I am. After my spur of the moment Brahm Family Tradition making, I started scouring the internet for an amazing recipe. Well, I found it, so here I am, after eating my second one, (See, told you- fat kid.) to share the yumminess with you all. I found this recipe, and really only decided on this one because I was curious about the whole potato thing. I mean really, who puts potatoes in cinnamon rolls? Apparently I do. Always. Forever and ever I will put potatoes in my cinnamon rolls. Next time I'm thinking of trying more of a cream cheese type frosting, but the frosting (or glaze, whatever) in this recipe is just peachy. (Or sugary, really.)

Classic Cinnamon Rolls


Ingredients

  • Rolls:
  • 1 cup mashed potatoes
  • 1 cup reserved potato water
  • 3/4 cup butter OR margarine
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 cup hot water
  • 2 envelopes Fleishmann's® Active Dry Yeast
  • 1/2 cup warm water (100 to 110 degrees F)
  • 2 eggs
  • 8 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, or more if needed
  •  
  • Filling:
  • 1/2 cup butter OR margarine, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Spice Islands® Ground Saigon Cinnamon
  •  
  • Icing:
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 6 tablespoons butter OR margarine, softened
  • 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® 100% Pure Bourbon Vanilla Extract
  • 5 tablespoons milk, or more as needed

Directions

  1. Combine potatoes, potato water, butter, sugar, salt and hot water in large mixing bowl. Stir until butter melts; set aside and let cool. Combine yeast and 1/2 cup warm water in small bowl. Let rest 5 minutes. Add eggs, 2 cups flour and yeast mixture to potato mixture. Beat until well mixed. Continue adding flour, 1 cup at a time until soft dough forms.
  2. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic (about 4 to 6 minutes), OR knead with electric mixer using dough hook. Place in a greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover.
  3. Let rise in a warm, draft free area about 1 hour, until doubled in size. Punch dough down; divide in half.
  4. Roll one portion of dough on a lightly floured surface to a 12 x 18-inch rectangle. Spread with half the butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle half of the mixture over surface. Roll up tightly lengthwise, sealing edges. Cut into 12 slices. Place in greased 13 x 9-inch pan. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover.
  5. Let rise 30 to 45 minutes until nearly doubled.
  6. Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
  7. Cool for 15 minutes. Combine icing ingredients and drizzle over rolls.
  8. Makes 24 rolls.

Footnotes

  • 2 medium potatoes yield about 1 cup mashed potatoes.

Nutritional Information open nutritional information

Amount Per Serving  Calories: 404 | Total Fat: 13.5g | Cholesterol: 51mg

1 comment:

  1. The recipe that my grandmother gave me for doughnuts also calls for mashed potatoes. Who would've thought?! I'm definitely going to have to give your cinnamon roll recipe a try! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete