Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Pancakes for lunch!



Yesterday I had a bad experience with lunch meat, so I was looking for something relatively quick and easy to make for lunch for Noah and me, since lunch meat was out. Pancakes is what I decided on. It's been awhile since I've made them, but I thought I'd share my "go-to" pancake recipe. I've done these with so many different additives....blueberries, of course, chocolate chips, chocolate chips AND peanut butter chips, and last fall I added cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves for fall-like pancakes. I plan on adding pumpkin at some point too, but haven't done that one yet. They're thick and yummy. I don't even bother ordering pancakes in restaurants when I have the option, because these are better. Anyways, here's the recipe, with my changes in italics.


Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour (whole wheat flour)
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar (2 tbls brown sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • cooking spray (I use butter. Lots of butter. I blame the southerner in me.)

Directions

  1. Combine milk with vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to "sour".
  2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk egg and butter into "soured" milk. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone.
  3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side.

I realize the whole vinegar and milk thing sounds disgusting...and looks and smells disgusting, but it all works out in the end. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment